The ideal summer sandwich are these Creamy Pulled Tofu Sandwiches! With a light and creamy kohlrabi cabbage carrot salad and saucy “pulled” tofu that convincingly resembles chicken or pig, a delicious summer supper that will please both vegetarians and carnivores alike may be served.
- 1 block of firm tofu
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Burger buns
- Toppings of your choice (lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Drain the tofu and press it to remove excess moisture. You can do this by placing the tofu between two plates and putting a heavy object on top. Leave it for about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, crumble the tofu into small pieces using your hands or a fork.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until they become translucent.
- Add the crumbled tofu to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix together the barbecue sauce, soy sauce, maple syrup or honey, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the pan with the tofu and stir well to combine. Cook for another 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to blend.
- Transfer the tofu mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the tofu becomes slightly crispy around the edges.
- Toast the burger buns if desired.
- Assemble your pulled tofu burgers by placing a generous amount of the tofu mixture on each bun. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Calories: 250-300
- Protein: 15-20g
- Fat: 10-12g
- Carbohydrates: 25-30g
- Fiber: 3-5g
- Sugar: 10-12g
- Sodium: 600-800mg