These Sabra pizza hummus-stuffed pretzel bites are a tasty football (or anytime!) snack. A soft, salty pretzel bite gives way to a centre filled with hummus!
For the pretzel dough
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110°F to 115°F or 45°C to 46°C)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Coarse sea salt (for sprinkling)
For the pizza hummus stuffing
- 1 cup hummus (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoni or your favorite pizza toppings (optional)
For the pretzel dough
- In a mixing bowl, combine warm water and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the water, and let it sit for about 5 minutes, until it becomes foamy.
- Add salt and gradually stir in the flour until a dough forms. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise for about 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size.
For the pretzel bites
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch down the risen dough and divide it into small portions, about 1-2 tablespoons each.
- Flatten each portion of dough into a small disc and place a teaspoon of hummus in the center. Add a pinch of grated mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and chopped pepperoni if desired.
- Fold the edges of the dough over the filling, sealing it well. Roll it into a ball shape.
- In a large pot, bring 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a boil.
- Boil the stuffed dough balls in batches for about 30 seconds each. Remove them with a slotted spoon and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the pretzel bites with beaten egg and sprinkle coarse sea salt on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly before serving.
- Calories: 80-90 calories per pretzel bite
- Total Fat: 2-3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 10-15mg
- Sodium: 220-250mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 12-14g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 3-4g