The spring and summer are the ideal times to enjoy this vegan pesto leek pizza with coconut bacon! This pizza is fantastic! Topped with crispy coconut bacon, roasted leeks, charred corn, melty vegan mozzarella and pesto, which is the pizza’s main ingredient. across a pillowy pizza crust that has been baked to a heated, chewy perfection.
For the Pizza Dough
- 1 store-bought vegan pizza dough or homemade dough
- Cornmeal or flour for dusting
For the Pesto
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
For the Toppings
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese (optional)
For the Coconut Bacon
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
Prepare the Coconut Bacon
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In a bowl, combine the coconut flakes, soy sauce or tamari, liquid smoke, and maple syrup. Toss to coat the coconut flakes evenly.
- Spread the coated coconut flakes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes or until the coconut flakes turn crispy and brown, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking. Watch them closely as they can burn quickly.
- Remove from the oven and let the coconut bacon cool. It will become crispier as it cools.
Prepare the Pesto
In a food processor, combine the fresh basil, pine nuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Assemble the Pizza
- Preheat your oven to the temperature recommended for your pizza dough (usually around 450°F or 230°C).
- Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface or on parchment paper dusted with cornmeal to your desired thickness.
- Spread the pesto evenly over the pizza dough.
- Top the pizza with the sliced leeks, cherry tomatoes, and vegan mozzarella cheese (if using).
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven according to the pizza dough instructions or until the crust is golden and the toppings are cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle the coconut bacon over the pizza as a crispy topping just before serving.
- Calories: 400-450 calories per serving
- Total Fat: 20-25 grams
- Saturated Fat: 5-7 grams
- Sodium: 450-500 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 45-50 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 6-8 grams
- Sugars: 5-7 grams
- Protein: 8-10 grams