In just one hour, you can serve these peppers stuffed with quinoa. containing all of the ingredients, including salsa, canned beans, and fresh spices, that you probably already have on hand! Serve with a sauce made of creamy yoghurt and avocado. There are other options that are vegan.
- 4 large bell peppers, any color
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut off the tops of the bell peppers and remove the seeds and membranes. Place them cut-side up in a baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and oregano and cook for another minute.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes, corn, and cooked quinoa to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the quinoa mixture into the prepared bell peppers and top each pepper with shredded cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the peppers are tender.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (1 stuffed pepper):
- Calories: 378
- Total fat: 13.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Sodium: 616mg
- Total carbohydrates: 49.4g
- Dietary fiber: 12.1g
- Sugars: 9.3g
- Protein: 18.3g