A quick and simple falafel dish using lentils rather of chickpeas is called lentil falafel. This recipe for lentil falafel, which can be air-fried or baked, is bursting with wonderful savoury flavour. Wrap in a sandwich with fresh veggies and dip in tangy tahini dressing before grilling to perfection.
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, soak the lentils in water for at least 2 hours.
- Drain the lentils and transfer them to a food processor.
- Add the onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, and pepper to the food processor. Pulse until everything is well combined and the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a bowl and stir in the flour until the mixture is well combined.
- Form the mixture into small balls and flatten them slightly to form patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the patties in the skillet until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve the lentil falafel warm with your favorite toppings and sides.
Per serving (makes 8 falafel patties):
- Calories: 131
- Total Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 157mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 19g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 7g