Germknödel in Austrian German is a fluffy yeast dough dumpling, filled with spiced plum jam and served with melted butter and a mix of poppy seeds and sugar on top.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine flour, warm milk, yeast, sugar, egg, softened butter, and salt. Mix until dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes, or until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a damp towel, and let it rise for about 1 hour.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and divide it into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Flatten each ball with your hand and place a spoonful of apricot jam in the center. Pinch the edges together to seal the jam inside.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the dumplings for about 15 minutes or until they float to the surface.
- Meanwhile, toast the poppy seeds in a dry pan until fragrant.
- Mix the powdered sugar with the melted butter.
- Serve the dumplings with the poppy seeds and the butter/sugar mixture on top.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 435
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Sodium: 165mg
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 26g
- Protein: 8g