Why aren’t we having this meal for breakfast more frequently? The world’s most undervalued (wow, that’s a tough phrase) spread is probably lemon curd. And the best rolls might be English muffins.
English Muffins Ingredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Cornmeal (for dusting)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
- Add warm milk and melted butter to the dry ingredients. Mix well until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and divide it into equal-sized portions. Shape each portion into a round muffin shape.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on a baking sheet and place the muffins on it. Cover and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Cook the muffins for about 5-7 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow the muffins to cool before splitting them open and spreading lemon curd.
Lemon Curd Ingredients
- 4 lemons (zest and juice)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and eggs until well combined.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Stir the mixture continuously for about 10-15 minutes until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the bowl from heat and gradually whisk in the melted butter until smooth and well combined.
- Pour the lemon curd into a clean jar and let it cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Calories: 150-200
- Carbohydrates: 30-35 grams
- Protein: 5-7 grams
- Fat: 2-4 grams
- Fiber: 1-2 grams