This delicious and healthful vegan chickpea meatloaf is incredibly simple to make. Make this flavorful, high-protein main dish for the entire family during the holidays or on weeknights. This chickpea meatloaf makes it simpler and tastier than ever to eat more plant-based protein and vegetables.
For the Chickpea Meatloaf
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 3 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers (any color you prefer)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste or ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free option)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water (flax egg)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Glaze
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas until they are roughly mashed, with some texture remaining.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed chickpeas, rolled oats, grated carrots, diced onions, diced bell peppers, minced garlic, tomato paste (or ketchup), soy sauce (or tamari), Dijon mustard, and the flaxseed mixed with water (flax egg).
- Add the smoked paprika, dried thyme, ground cumin, salt, and pepper to the mixture. Mix everything until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan, pressing it down firmly and smoothing the top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients: ketchup, maple syrup (or agave syrup), and balsamic vinegar. Brush the glaze over the top of the chickpea meatloaf.
- Bake the meatloaf in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until it’s firm and slightly browned on top.
- Allow the meatloaf to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Calories: 250 kcal
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 600mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 42g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Sugars: 10g
- Protein: 10g