A delectable vegan supper is ready in about 30 minutes with crispy tofu coated in BBQ sauce, topped with avocado, and a refreshing cilantro cabbage salad.
For the tofu
- 1 block (14 oz) extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the slaw
- 1/4 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 large carrot, grated
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the sandwich
- 4 burger buns
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced pickles
- Cut the pressed tofu into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper.
- Dip each tofu slice in the flour mixture, making sure to coat it well.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the coated tofu slices to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Once the tofu is crispy, pour the BBQ sauce over the tofu slices and stir to coat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded green and red cabbage, grated carrot, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, and black pepper.
- Toast the burger buns.
- To assemble the sandwiches, place a tofu slice on the bottom half of each bun.
- Top the tofu with a generous portion of slaw.
- Add sliced red onion and pickles on top of the slaw.
- Place the top half of the bun on the sandwich.
Nutrition facts (per serving, based on 4 servings)
- Calories: 535
- Total fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Sodium: 1476mg
- Total carbohydrate: 79g
- Dietary fiber: 8.2g
- Sugars: 32g
- Protein: 19g