Oh my goodness, once you sample these air-fried oyster mushrooms that are crispy and crunchy, you won’t want mushrooms any other way. They are really simple to create, highly addictive, and healthful as well. They resemble vegan fried chicken or vegan calamari due to their flavorful, crunchy panko crust.
For the crispy oyster mushrooms
- 8 ounces (about 225 grams) oyster mushrooms, cleaned and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (you can also use rice flour for a gluten-free option)
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk (such as almond, soy, or oat milk)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (use panko breadcrumbs for extra crispiness)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray or oil for air frying
For the dipping sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a small bowl, combine the vegan mayonnaise, hot sauce, garlic powder, and lemon juice. Mix well and refrigerate until serving.
- In one bowl, place the flour. In another bowl, pour the plant-based milk. In a third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Dip each oyster mushroom piece into the flour, then into the plant-based milk, and finally into the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to adhere the breadcrumbs. Make sure they are evenly coated.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Lightly grease the air fryer basket with cooking spray or oil.
- Place the coated mushroom pieces in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they don’t overlap.
- Air fry for 10-12 minutes, flipping the mushrooms halfway through to ensure even cooking, until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve the crispy air-fried oyster mushrooms hot with the optional dipping sauce or your preferred dipping sauce.
- Calories: 220
- Total Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 380mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 44g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 7g