Enjoy this creamy mushroom soup as a meal starter! To make the most delectable appetiser, I combine three different kinds of mushrooms. The mixture becomes delightfully smooth and of restaurant-quality after being pureed.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Add the sliced cremini mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, and oyster mushrooms to the pot. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the mushrooms have softened and released their moisture.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender (in batches if necessary) to puree until smooth. If using a blender, be careful when blending hot liquids and work in batches if needed.
- Return the blended soup to the pot and stir in the almond milk. Add nutritional yeast if desired for extra flavor.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer the soup for another 5 minutes to heat it through.
- Serve the mushroom soup hot, garnished with freshly chopped parsley.
- Calories: 118
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 4g
- Sodium: 738mg