Cig kofte is a very traditional Turkish dish that doesn’t get enough attention! It is packed with tons of flavor and when served on some fresh lettuce leaves with a squeeze of lemon juice, all of the flavors blend together seamlessly!
- 1 cup fine bulgur
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red pepper paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound ground beef or lamb
- Lettuce leaves, lemon wedges, and/or pita bread for serving
- Rinse the bulgur in cold water and drain well. Soak it in hot water for 15-20 minutes until softened.
- In a large bowl, mix together the tomato paste, red pepper paste, olive oil, onion, garlic, parsley, mint, paprika, cumin, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes until well combined.
- Add the ground meat and drained bulgur to the bowl and knead the mixture well with your hands until it becomes a smooth and homogeneous paste.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, shape the mixture into small balls or patties, or serve it as a spread on lettuce leaves or pita bread. Garnish with lemon wedges and extra herbs if desired.
Nutrition facts per serving (serving size: 1/4 cup of mixture):
- Calories: 166
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Sodium: 406mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 15g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 7g