Carrots, broccoli, garlic, and cheese are all packed into a healthy broccoli cheddar soup. This quick and inexpensive soup can be made in in 30 minutes and is far superior to Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir to form a roux. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the vegetable broth, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the broccoli florets and grated carrot. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the broccoli is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, transfer the soup to a blender and puree in batches, being careful not to fill the blender too full and to hold the lid down tightly.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted and well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 437
- Total Fat: 33g
- Saturated Fat: 21g
- \Cholesterol: 103mg
- Sodium: 496mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 19g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 7g
- Protein: 17g