These vegan filled pumpkins create a beautiful centrepiece for your festive Thanksgiving or Christmas table in addition to being delicious. They are bursting with warm spices and aromas of fall since they are filled with veggies, quinoa, herbs, and cranberries. Your visitors will be stunned!
- 1 medium-sized pumpkin
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (any color)
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut off the top of the pumpkin and remove the seeds and pulp. Set the pumpkin aside.
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water and drain.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable broth over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, bell peppers, and spinach to the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa, dried cranberries or raisins, chopped nuts, dried thyme, ground cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Place the hollowed pumpkin on a baking sheet and fill it with the quinoa mixture.
- Cover the pumpkin with its top and bake for about 1 hour or until the pumpkin is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- To serve, slice the pumpkin into wedges, making sure to scoop out some of the cooked pumpkin flesh with each portion.
- Calories: 320 Total Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 480mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 50g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Sugars: 8g Protein: 9g