This genuine Jamaican vegan bread pudding is made with the softest, most tender bread pieces with a vegan custard that is flavorful, sweet and full of flavour.
- 6 slices of day-old whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed nuts (such as almonds, walnuts, and cashews)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Coconut oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a baking dish with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut milk, mashed banana, brown sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the cubed bread to the bowl and gently toss to coat the bread with the coconut milk mixture. Allow the bread to soak for about 10-15 minutes.
- Fold in the raisins and chopped nuts.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the pudding is golden brown and set in the middle.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.
- Calories: 250 kcal
- Total Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 130mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 15g
- Protein: 5g